Investigators Say Fire Near Whiskeytown Visitors Center Was Sparked By Fireworks

Officials at Whiskeytown National Recreation Area say a fire last week at the park was caused by fireworks, which are strictly forbidden not just in every national park but in all of Shasta County as well. The fire started at around 11PM last Thursday off Highway 299 at South Fork Mountain Road near the visitor center. A witness reported seeing a light colored 2004 to 2020 model Honda Accord speeding away after the fire started. Anyone with information can call 242-3417.