Cigarette Fire Damages West Redding Triplex

A fire caused by smoking did substantial damage to the belongings of some renters in West Redding. At around 3:45PM Friday afternoon, Redding Fire Department was called to a triplex on Orange Avenue. When firefighters got there, they saw light smoke coming from one of the apartments, and a person on the outside spraying a garden hose through a bedroom window. The fire crew extinguished the smoldering fire and an investigator determined the cause to be improperly discarded cigarette butts. One of the two residents was treated for smoke inhalation. The fire and smoke caused about $2,500 damage to the structure and $10,000 to the uninsured contents of the apartment.