D.A. Refers Investigation Of Recall Effort To Secretary Of State’s Office

An investigation into the effort to recall three Shasta County Supervisors was underway by the District Attorney’s Office. That was first revealed Tuesday by D.A. Stephanie Bridgett, who said the investigation wrapped up on Monday. In a brief statement, she says they investigated allegations of fraud related to the gathering of signatures and filing of notices of intent to recall. The findings have been referred to the Secretary of State. Recall organizer Elissa Mceuen had posted a Facebook video saying that she and others had been visited by D.A. Investigators. There’s also an investigation underway by the Fair Political Practices Commission. In order to get the question on a ballot to be decided in a special election, signatures must be gathered from 20% of registered voters in each of the three districts represented by Joe Chimenti, Mary Rickert and Leonard Moty. That’s a total of more than 13,000 signatures, and they’ll need to be submitted by September 29th. County Clerk Cathy Darling-Allen says the cost to taxpayers for a special election to recall a single supervisor would be $400,000. For all three, it would be $640,000.