Carelessly Discarded Cigarette Damages Downtown Duplex

A fire in a Downtown Redding home turned out to be accidental, though it was first dispatched as an intentionally set fire with a person trapped upstairs. When Redding Firefighters arrived at the duplex near the north end of Pine Street, everyone had gotten out and they were told nobody was inside. Firefighters found a smoldering pile of trash next to a bed in an upstairs bedroom. It apparently had started from carelessly discarded smoking materials in a trash bag. Damage to a wall and carpet is estimated at $200.